Home    |    Serveice Guide    |    About Longmen    |    Introduction of Caves    |    Tourist Route
 
         Serveice Guide
Ticket
Dongshan Hotel
Parking Lot
Battery Car
Yatch
Serveice Guide

Longmen Grottoes  
Longmen Grottoes was promulgated a key national cultural relic unit for special protection by the State Council in 1961. In 1982, it was promulgated one of the first group of scenic zonesit was promulgated one of the first group of scenic zones to be protected at the state level by the State Council. In November 2000, Longmen Grottoes was inscribed on World Heritage List by it was promulgated one of the first group of scenic zonesit was promulgated one of the first group of scenic zonesit was promulgated one of the first group of scenic zonesUNESCO.
BAI GARDEN  
Bai Garden , located on Peak Pipa in the north of the East Longmen Hill (Xiangshan Hill), was reconstructed by Tang YOUzeng of Qing Dynasty in A.D. 1709. The temple is surrounded by green pine trees and cypress, looking solemn and serene. It was promulgated a key site for protection at the state level by the State Council in 1961.

The tomb of Bai Juyi is a round mound of earth, 4 meters high, with a circumference of 52 meters. In front of the tomb stands a tombstone of 2.80 meters high, which reads, “The Tomb of Bai Juyi Tai”.

Bai Juyi, style name Letian, had his ancestors in Taiyuan , Shanxi Province, who moved to Shaanxi . He was born in A.D. 772 and died in A. D. 846. As one of the most outstanding poets in the Tang Dynasty, Bai Juyi enjoyed great fame in the literature field both at home and abroad. He assumed a number of positions in the government and was the teacher of the prince in his later life. When retired, he came to Luoyang and made good friends with “Nine Persons of Xiangshan Hill”, who often composed and sang poems at Longmen. Meanwhile, he donated money for the construction of Xiangshan Temple .

When Bai Juyi died, he was buried in the present Bai Garden , according to his will. The important scenic spots in the Bai Garden are Qinggu, Tingyi Pavillion, Letian Hall, Bai Pavillion, Bird's Head Gate, Peak Pipa, Bai Juyi's Tomb, Wogu Tablet, Cuiyue Pavillion, Poem Corridor, Daoshi Reading Room, Songfeng Pavillion, etc. As a garden constructed according to style of the Tang Dynasty, it is a good place to console with the great poet as well as a tourist resort.

 

XIANGSHAN TEMPLE  
Xiangshan Temple , which ranked the first among the ten temples at Longmen, is situated in the middle mountainside of the East Hill. The East Longmen Hill is teemed with spices name “ Xiangge ” , hence the name Xiangshan. Then the temple was named Xiangshan Temple . The present Xianshan Temple was reconstructed in about 1707, during the Qing Dyansty, on the basis of an old temple. In 2002, Xiangsha Temple was expanded on the basis of the Qing Xiangshan Temple by Longmen Grottoes Administration, with the Beltry, the Drum Tower , the Wing Room, the Hall of Mahavira and Hall of Nine Persons newly constructed. Besides, the Hall of Arhats, the stele of Emperor Qianlong, the belfry, the Palace of Emperor Qianlong , Wing-room, Eighten Arhats, the Villa of Jiang Jieshi and Song Meiling, the stairs, the plank roads and the bouding wall within the temple have all been remedied. A new gate was constructed to the south of the temple.

The original construction site of the Xiangshan Temple was located somewhere near the former sanatorium of Luoyang Bearing Corporation in the south end of the East Longmen Hill.

 
Copyright © 2009 Longmen Grottoes All Rights Reserved
Web supportted by Luoyang Heng Kai Information Technology Co., Ltd.